L.C. Smith opened a livestock commission business in New York City. It failed.1875
L.C. Smith moved to Syracuse to become a clerk after the failure of his livestock business.
L.C. Smith established a lumber business in Syracuse. It was slightly more successful than his earlier livestock business.
L. C. Smith and his older brother Leroy joined forces with an established firearms designer, William H.
Baker, to form W.H. Baker & Co. The firm produced Baker designed shotguns.
W.H. Baker & Co. produced a 3-barrel combination gun at their plant in Syracuse, NY.
Baker combination gun production was moved to a new facility in Syracuse. They also began producing a double-barrel shotgun.
Leroy Smith and W. H. Baker left the company.
The two later formed the Ithaca Gun Company.
W.H. Baker & Co. became L.C. Smith Shotgun Company and continued production of the Baker designed guns, and created a new line of hammer-style shotguns designed by Alexander Brown.
The first hammerless-style L.C. Smith shotguns went into production in 1886.
L.C. Smith, Wilbert L. Smith, Monroe C. Smith, and H.W. Smith formed the Smith Premier Typewriter Company.1889
Manufacturing rights for L.C. Smith shotguns were sold to the Hunter Arms Company.1893
Smith Premier merged to form Union Typewriter. The typewriters produced during this period still bore the Smith Premier name.
This trust brought together a number of the top typewriter producers in the United States. Ninety-five percent of all typewriters produced in the U.S. at the time were produced by the Union Typewriter Company in Syracuse, NY.
The Smith brothers split off from the Union Typewriter Co. to form L.C. Smith and Brothers Typewriter Company.
The Smith Premier name remained with the Union Typewriter Company.
Ironically, the first new typewriter produced by L.C. Smith Brothers Typewriter Company was the Model No. 2.
It was the first machine to have a Shift key, which allowed the typewriter to have both uppercase and lowercase letters on the same typebar.
Finally, the first Model No. 1 typewriter was sold to the New York Herald, where it operated 24-7 for the next 8 years before it was traded in for a newer model.
The Rose Typewriter Company was founded. It would later be bought by the men who formed the Standard Typewriter Company.1909
The Standard Typewriter Company began production of their famous folding, portable typewriters.
L.C. Smith died.
Wilbert Lewis Smith took over as President. Monroe Smith became Vice President and H.W. Smith became Secretary (in addition to his role as Treasurer).
Standard Typewriter Company changed its name to the Corona Typewriter Company and continued to produce folding, portable typewriters.
Monroe Clayton Smith died.
Today, located in the heart of Pioneer Square, the Smith Tower still stands.
L.C. Smith Brothers Typewriter Company merged with Corona Typewriter Company. The new firm was known as L.C. Smith and Corona Typewriters, Inc.
L.C. Smith and Corona Typewriters, Inc. headquarters were moved to New York City.1933
H.W. Smith returned to rally L.C. Smith and Corona Typewriters, Inc. which had fallen on hard times as the Great Depression had disrupted sales.
The company headquarters moved back to Syracuse, NY.
The company changed its name to Smith Corona, Inc.
The first portable electric typewriter was introduced.1958
Smith and Corona, Inc. merged with Marchant Calculator Company. The new company was named Smith Corona Marchant.
The power carriage return introduced on the Smith Corona portable electric typewriter.
Smith Corona Marchant consolidated production at a new state-of-the-art facility in Cortland, New York.1962
Name changed to SCM Corporation and company headquarters relocating to New York City although the typewriter assets remained in a separate operating division in Cortland.
SCM Corporation acquired Proctor-Silex. The typewriter assets remained segregated in a separate operating division in Cortland.
SCM Corporation also acquired the Glidden Company and Durkee Foods. This was a protectionist maneuver to create a company too large to be easily acquired by the other rapidly expanding corporations of the era. Ironically, the value of these different subsidiaries would later be a contributing factor in Hanson PLC’s decision to purchase and dissolve SCM Corporation in the early 1980s.
The Coronamatic Cartridge was introduced. This self-contained cartridge revolutionized ribbon changes by allowing users to execute a ribbon change without touching any part of the inked ribbon.
SCM Corporation’s typewriter division opened a manufacturing facility in Singapore in 1973.
SCM Corporation’s typewriter division began its ill-fated lawsuit against Brother Industries, Ltd. SCM Corporation accused the Japanese company of dumping, inferior typewriters on the American market.
SCM Corporation’s typewriter division opened a research and development lab in Danbury, Connecticut.
This lab focused on the production of electronic typewriters.
The Typetronic Electronic Typewriter was introduced.
The Typetronic II and Ultrasonic office and portable typewriters were released.
The TP-1 daisywheel printer was introduced.
SCM Corporation sold Proctor-Silex to the Wesray Corporation.1984-1985
SCM Corporation’s typewriter division branched out into word processing. The first word eraser and personal word processor hit the marketplace.1986
Hanson PLC acquired SCM Corporation in a hostile corporate takeover.
SCM Corporation adopted a plan of liquidation and dissolution. Assets and liabilities of its various
operating divisions were transferred into 20 newly created corporate subsidiaries of Hanson, or “fan
companies,” named HSCM-1, Inc. through HSCM-20, Inc.
The typewriter business, which had always been separately maintained, re-organized as HSCM-10 Inc.
on September 6, 1985 and one year later it was renamed the Smith-Corona Corporation.
Hanson PLC took Smith Corona Corporation public by selling 53.7% of its Smith Corona stock. This new Smith Corona Corporation was then listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
Smith Corona Corporation produced the world’s first lap-top word processor named the PWP 270 LT.
Smith Corona Corporation formed an alliance with Acer, Inc., a Taiwanese computer manufacturer. The goal of the alliance was to help Smith Corona Corporation leap into the personal computer market. The machines were branded “Smith Corona by Acer.”1991
Smith Corona Corporation introduced the Simply Smart PC line of personal computers for first-time users.
Smith Corona introduced the the PC 340. The PC 340 came equipped with Smith Corona Corporation’s PWP Word Processing software and Microsoft Windows.
In a cost-saving gamble, manufacturing operations moved to Mexico.
Smith Corona Corporation ended its 20-year court battle with Brother Industries, Ltd. The closure of all of Smith Corona Corporation’s U.S. facilities allowed Brother to counter-sue. This forced Smith Corona Corporation into settling their trade litigation.
Smith Corona Corporation reorganized under Chapter 11 of the Bankruptcy Code.
Smith Corona Corporation emerged from Chapter 11, no longer a publically traded company. The stock was owned by its creditors. Smith Corona Corporation attempted to diversify with an expanded selection of home office supplies with little success.
Smith Corona Corporation ceased producing its own proprietary typewriters and started purchasing typewriters made for it in South Korea.2000
Smith Corona Corporation was forced to file a second time for reorganization under Chapter 11 of the Bankruptcy Code.
Smith Corona Corporation emerged from its second bankruptcy proceeding when it sold 49% of the reorganized company stock to Pubco Corporation. The other stockholders were the creditors of the second bankruptcy proceeding.2009
Smith Corona Corporation stopped selling typewriters.
Smith Corona Corporation, continuing its 100+ year history of putting ink on paper, began selling pressure sensitive labels and thermal transfer ribbons made by its subsidiary.